Here we go — 361 more days to reach our stock photo goals for 2013… After reading through the results of last week’s Breakfast Stock Club Reader survey of stock photo successes, I’m inspired, excited, and absolutely PUMPED for the year to come. Here’s why… Your Progress Nearly half of survey responders — 46% — got accepted to their first stock photo agencies in 2012, and about 25% made their very first stock photo sales. GREAT job! Your Income About half of responders made money with their stock photos in 2012 — ranging from under $10 for the entire year to between $5,000 and $10,000. About 9% of responders made it over the $500 mark in 2012. Your Goals This time last year, the number one goal I saw among readers was to get photos accepted. About half of responders this year have that same goal — and it’s a good one. There’s no better time to start than right now. The other half, I’m pleased to report, have shifted towards the next step. Here are some of my favorite reader goals for 2013:
- To increase the size of my portfolio on all the sites I’m on by 50-75% and to triple my earnings over 2012.
- Sell something!
- To get accepted and see one of my photos in print on a book cover or magazine.
- Get going!!!
- $500 a month revenue from stock pictures.
- Get something accepted somewhere!
- To upload every week and build my portfolios.
- Grow my sales by 100%.
- Double my portfolio.
- Receive a check.
- Make $12,000 a year.
- To increase my portfolio over 5,000 photos online at Shutterstock.
- I booked my first goal – trip to class in Miami in April. My biggest goal is to make stock my livelihood and leave retail world behind (daunting, but going to dream big!). See you in Miami!
Breakfast Stock Club — What’s in store for 2013
More photos… More creativity… More success… More fun! There are so many things I want to share with you as I continue forward in my own stock photo pursuits. Inspiration to get out and shoot… and tools to help you avoid the mistakes I made when first starting out. I’m also currently researching some uploading services to help you get going faster, and with more ease. Some topics coming up this year:
- Keywording tricks for better sales
- Getting from accepted to selling photos
- What buyers want and how to shoot it
- How to develop a concept for stock
- More tips for simple tabletop studio shooting in your home
- New success stories and interviews
If you have any requests for articles you’d like to see this year in Breakfast Stock Club, leave a comment on the Breakfast StockClub Facebook Page, here. [Editor’s Note: Learn more about how you can turn your pictures into cash in our free online newsletter The Right Way to Travel. Sign up here today and we’ll send you a new report, Selling Photos for Cash: A Quick-Start Guide, completely FREE.] Your Weekly Breakfast Dish The Latest from Your Breakfast StockClub Facebook Page From Caroline Maryan (on attending the Stock Photo Expedition with Lise Gagne in Cape Town, South Africa): YEEEESSSS! OK, sorry for shouting… but, I can’t wait! Cape Town is my favorite city in the entire world. And, every time I work with Lise at one of these small workshops, my photography improves dramatically! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I wouldn’t miss it! From Gerald Mink: So far I have been able to shoot every day this year. One down only 364 more to go. From Pj Eakins-Eagle: To all my new friends here at Breakfast Stock Club, thank you for all the encouragement and advice you have shared with me since I joined the group. I am looking forward to meeting each of you (hopefully at an event this coming year)… And I wish you all accomplishment and vision with your goals in 2013… Happy New Year!